So what’s a writer to do? I have a few recommendations…
- Have your vision and write your story – tap, tap, tap.
- Make a beautiful world or an ugly one – it doesn’t matter as long as you know that world in your head and make it plausible and consistent.
- Make heroic characters or complete slimeballs and every type in between – don’t be afraid to create the characters you want to and as complex as you want them. Not all police are alcoholic depressives, not all decent ordinary people are upright citizens and not all heroes/heroines are ‘on duty’ 24/7.
- And have confidence in creating this new world – who says you can’t have a certain world? But remember to be logical and to do your research.
- And love it when it’s a success – don’t do the over-modest reserved thing. A mumbled ‘thank you’ or ‘it was nothing’ is not gracious. Your friends, colleagues and even your relations want to celebrate with you.
- It’s a privilege to be able to present the inside of your head to other people.
- Be nice to other writers and exchange ideas freely with them, support them with promotion and cheer them up when they need it.
- Be polite to others in the writing and publishing field. Nobody is right or wrong – there are always options and the power to choose.
- Appreciate your readers, librarians, booksellers, bloggers and reviewers.
- And use your experience to help newcomers. Remember how others helped you?
Now, sit down and write the next damned book!
Find out about Roma Nova news, writing tips and info by signing up for my free monthly email newsletter.